Monday, May 20, 2013

Emotions from Guido


Hello Internet! I’ve been inspired by Hoff. So here’s me.

The 500 and I have an interesting history. I don't come from a "racing family." Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but they don't get racing. So, I don't have roots at 16th and Georgetown. The 500, however, is still a part of my history:

- It’s Indy 500 Week during the last month of second grade.

- It’s not knowing why there were 35 cars in 1997, but feeling that it was wrong.

- It’s feeling like CART was evil and not knowing why.

- It’s feeling like the IRL was somehow inferior to the aforementioned CART, but not knowing why.

- It’s feeling scandalized when there was “another race in Michigan”

- It’s knowing that “Reunification” was a big deal even without following the sport.

- It’s asking everyone who showed up late to staff training at camp: “Who won the race?”

- It’s listening to Franchitti’s second win in my parents’ lake house when we had tickets but didn’t go.

- It’s listening to Franchitti’s third win from the stands with Hoff and his dad, and watching Dario, Dixon, and TK form up out of Turn 4 to take the checkers.

- It’s “Back Home Again in Indiana” for someone who hasn’t lived there in six years.

- It’s Hornish passing Marco.

- It’s Emmo drinking orange juice.

- It’s Emmo apologizing later for drinking orange juice.

- It’s JR crashing in Turn 4 in 2011, putting the DW in DW12.

- It’s Sato crashing in Turn 1 in 2012, putting Dario on either side of Dan.

- It’s knowing that something has tradition.

- It’s experiencing only a fraction of that tradition.

- It’s making myth out of men, women, and machines.

- It’s the 500.

See you on Friday/Saturday for Twitter predictions. I’ll see if I can get Hoff to make some too…

-- Guido

No comments:

Post a Comment